Saturday, August 31, 2013

Poem 41 : My Promise

There was this vast land,
Ruled by mighty kings,
With enormous wealth,
Where marvels happened,
Generations have passed
And the marvels still stand tall.

Amidst the chaotic world,
There is this place,
Built on the walls of values,
that came from the ages old,
There is this place,
Where I breathe,
Where I live,
This is my mother land.
Ever so colorful,
Ever so beautiful.

Let me smear my face,
With this holy soil,
And breathe deep
the scent of my divine home.

I thank you,
The almighty.
For my soul breathes this air,
For my tongue speaks this magic,
For my heart feels this Mother
with an ocean of love.

Yet, I live in these troubled times,
where the sons have
forgotten the obligation
that came when they
were gifted this life here.
The obligation to keep
her happy, to respect
the values she has stood for
from the time immemorial.
The duty to stand by,
unaffected by this petty
selfish mean desires.

I pass every day
As my Mother gets humiliated
By her very own sons,
Whom she had nurtured.
I pass every day
watching these monsters
Abuse this holy land.
I pass every day
gulping down the pain
that runs through these veins.

I pray and pray
For what one man can do,
What one man can do,
to stop this defilation,
to make a difference,
How can this inception,
be fired in the hearts
Of billions who share my home.

Then I feel, I can,
When I believe I can,
Sometimes you just need
to take a step back,
to make a big leap.
Sometimes you need
to believe in the dawn,
When it is still dark.
Sometimes you need
to just jump in,
when you still think
you can’t swim.
Sometimes, you have
to go beyond, where
others have always feared.
Sometimes, you just
to need stop thinking
And start doing.

As this urge surges within,
I promise on this day,
That my soul won’t die in peace,
Unless I see a smile on your face,
Unless your glory rises back,
You are my Mother India.

-          Shashank K D(15-08-2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment